NEW BUSINESS PRACTICES IN CULTURE
FOR AFTER THE CONTAINMENT COVID-19 AND BEYOND
Since the beginning of the pandemic, the ArtExpert team has mobilized to support cities, cultural organizations and their managers. This newsletter aims to give a voice to cultural experts to act as a support for innovative management practices.
TWO TRENDS IN GOVERNANCE
by Louise Poulin, CEO, ArtExpert.ca
FIRST TREND: BENEVOLENT - H TO H MANAGEMENT
- In 2020, a kind and well meaning governance, as well as a compassionate one, takes place.
- Governance engages all stakeholders in your organization: board members, managers, team members, partners and customers.
- Sustainable governance is increasingly made up of a group of people rather than a single leader.
- By relying on each other, new leaders are more quickly able to implement authentic and effective solutions taking into account the humanity of the team members, their strengths, their flaws, their stories or their motivation.
It’s the H to H, human management by humans
SECOND TREND: COMPASSION - MINDFULNESS
- We will also talk about benevolent governance, where one manages one’s organization with awareness to other.
- Here we recognize the importance of Mindfulness practice.
- There is also the compassionate governance. A practice that increases the love of the profession and the attachment of employees to their company.
- According to the Compassion Cultivation Training Institute (CCT™) developed at Stanford University in California: “The more you practice acquiring methods and tools like meditation, the more you will develop a clear mind needed in business”
A Moment of Compassion Can Change Everything in Business (and Life!) Thupten Jinpa, a Cambridge University alumni, author of A Fearless Heart, longtime translator to the Dalai Lama, and former Tibetan monk wondered
BE READY – STAY COMPETITIVE
⇒ Take advantage of this moment to bring together your artists, members, employees and collaborators to see together the avenues of solutions
⇒ Consult your stakeholders through various means, on conversation platforms and through surveys
⇒ Use the tools and methods inspired by good practices found on the web. The entire planet has never tried to develop so many diversified practices in such a short period of time
⇒ Don’t hesitate to imagine virtual experiences to keep a dialogue with your communities
⇒ Rethink your campaign messages to reflect people’s context and mindset after COVID-19
⇒ Keep an open dialogue with your institutional partners in your territory. Imagine digital activations
⇒ Practice meetings in different ways
THE TEAM IN SOLUTION MODE
This spring and throughout the summer, ArtExpert has deployed its teams and its platform to meet your needs. Several co-development sessions were held. Support for organizations and institutions was in full swing. Works and plans with La Centrale des Artistes, the Montreal Chamber Music Festival, Culture pour tous-Hémisphères, the network of cultural schools, the city of Pointe-Claire and the Steward Hall Art Gallery will continue this fall.
Clockwise: Louise Poulin, Claudine Douaire, Simon Gamache and Nathalie Courville
ARTEXPERT MOVES INTO ITS NEW WORKING SPACES
ArtExpert thanks all its self-employed workers and consultants who, in times of pandemic, mobilized to support the cultural sector, which has been badly shaken in the business model of its organizations and the artists in their relationship with the public.
ArtExpert slowly and securely deconfines at its new work place.
Photo: Vivien Gaumand